Friday 17 April 2009

Lapland where to go, and how to get there.

I have spent a lot of time studying maps of Lapland and considering where to go and how to get there.

How to get there: The two main options to get to Lapland from Denmark are to fly or catch the overnight train. My preferred option is to fly because of time constraints. However, whether I fly to Kiruna (the most obvious) or Narvik (and see a bit more of the country) is yet to be determined. Once in Kiruna there is a bus service to Abisko. In Narvik it is a train to Abisko.

Where to go: My plan is not to walk the Kungsleden, but instead to wander the area between Abisko and Kebnekaise fjällstation (though I may not get that far south). In some ways I see this a reconnaissance trip for a return visit. The plans is to camp out, with some day walks from a base camp as well as backpacking.

A possible starting point is Kaisepakte (if the bus will stop there) and then head south along Bessesvaggi with side trips to the surrounding peaks ultimately finishing in Abisko for the return trip to Denmark. However, there are so many options and I am interested in hearing from others who have been there and may want to suggest places to visit, or transport options. Your suggestions will be very much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment