Tuesday 13 October 2009

Møns and Kongsbjerg

I had a chance to get away for a couple of days, much in the way that Ryan Jordan has described as 24 hours a trip completed in 24 hours. Well where I live there are not many options, so I decided to walk from Råbylillestrand to Magleby in the Møns Klint area approximately 200 km south of Copenhagen. The return trip including 8 hours on public transport amounted to 36 hours. The weather for this trip was to be cool clear and windy so it was time to bring out the Paramo gear: Third Element Jacket and the Velez Adventure Trousers.

The walk initially followed the trail along Råbylillestrand, after leaving Råbylillestrand the trail skirts farmland before returning to the coast to pass Busemarke Mossen (wetlands) . The coastal walking continues along firm sand until you reach Klintholm Havn where you return to the bitumen as well as passing a small supermarket and the local fish smoke house. Leaving Klintholm Havn along minor roads before returning to Mandemarke Haver and it two shelters, the walk along the stone covered coastline leads then through a cow paddock (have you ever considered the implications of wearing a Red Paramo Third Element jacket in a bulls paddock, I did) after which it is a short walk to Busene Have prior to arriving at the base of Møns Fyr (Lighthouse).


From here I was on familiar territory climbing towards the large chalk klints (Cliffs) of Møns. There are several excellent view points and whilst the wind was cold the clear views out to see made for an enjoyable walk. Soon I headed away from the coastline to find a spot in the forest to camp. My sleeping arrangement for this trip was a Integral Designs Sil Poncho accompanied by the the Integral Designs eVent Overbag (now with side zip, thanks Scottish Mountain Gear). I was pleased with this arrangement and with the trekking poles making a "V" (a great idea presented by Dondo at BPL a while ago) provided easy access to the tarp.

After a final stroll and a visit to the cliffs looking out to sea I was soon in to bed quickly noticing how much warmer it felt under the tarp.I soon nodded off to sleep to the sound of the Naturugle (Owl)

Thanks to the comfort of the Neo Air I never did see the sunrise, but quick cup of coffee on the Compact Caldera and MLD pot (wood stoves are not good when you are stealth camping) I soon set off the highest point in the trip Kongsbjerg at 135 m (the highest point in Denmark is Møllehøj standing at 170.86 m). After passing the fascinating birch tress with there root system exposed by the dried up sø (lake)

I soon arrived at Kongsbjerg which provided a rewarding panorama as well as the appropriately named thinking bench complete with words from Jim Morrison.


After spending some time thinking and photographing it was time to return to the forest and follow the trails to Magleby and then home.


It had been a short but rewarding trip which once again reminded me that visits to the outdoors help to reinvigorate the heart and mind.

8 comments:

  1. Eight hours on Public traffic?! That's enough to cross Denmark twice from North to South, I reckon.

    Nice photo of you on the bench, and in the forest + view to the sea.

    How many tarps and bivy bags do you own, Roger? There must be plenty! I'm currently thinking about a tarp and bivy as well, and its not easy to choose one (GG SpinnShelter, MLD DuoMids & others, Laufbursche Cuben, or MYOG). Its for the coming spring/ summer seasons, though, for the winter I will stay in my Scarp 1!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hendrik, it is about 7 hours to go from Copenhagen to the top of Jutland. 4 hours one way is reasonable given it takes 3 buses and 1 train to get to the walk. I always get plenty of reading done when travelling to or from a trip.

    Whilst it was very cool in the wind on the bench, it was pleasant sitting there and watching the world go by.

    3 tarps (Silponcho (only used occasionally these days), MLD Grace Solo and silnylon Duomid (will be writing about the Duomid after a trip in a couple of weeks) 3 bivies. For winter I intend to use the Duomid with an event bivy (or in really cold snowy conditions Hilleberg Soulo), for summer it will depend on location and weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your post, Roger. It's a good reminder how it's possible to get refreshed in just a quick trip.

    I especially liked the photo of you staring out to sea on the thinking bench. Nice to see that there are still Jim Morrison fans worldwide.

    It seems that you have many opportunities for coastal hikes. Is there much public land in Demark? Or is it like Scotland where you are allowed to walk anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dondo, I do not listen to the Doors as much as I used to, but whenever there is a thunderstorm I always think of Riders On the Storm.

    Access to land is not as good as it is in Scotland, though there are many nature and forest reserves. . The beaches in Denmark are accessible to all, but the land adjoining the beaches can be privately owned, with no access. Similarly camping is more controlled than it is in Scotland. However, I have yet to meet an angry land holder and I always adopt a LNT approach.
    All in all there are plenty of opportunities to explore and encounter the outdoors in Denmark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant that if one would go by car instead of public transportation one probably could cross Denmark from North to South and back in 8 hours or less. I remember as I moved to Finland in 2002 and we drove through Denmark that it was very quick to traverse.

    On Monday is coming a pot on Tarps. Its quite simple tough, there's not so much options (or I narrowed it down to just a few). What make are your bivis? One ID, and then wasn't there a BPL bivy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No problem Hendrik, Denmark is a small country. My bivvies are the BPL Vapor and Integral Designs eVent Over bag as well as the eVent Unishleter.

    Integral Designs make great gear in my view.

    ReplyDelete
  7. excellent and interesting post about a subject I am well versed in. Because of the pressures of work, family commitments etc I often find it really hard to get away for a weekend. Therefore many of my trips are of the 24/36 hour variety with one overnight stop.
    The kit choice rings a bell with me. I now have 4 tarps and a tarp tent as well as three bivvy bags. My favourite combo at the minute is a cuben fibre mini tarp (6ft by 4.5 ft) and MLD Soul bivvy. Still wont stop me looking for other options though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Dave, I have been lucky up till now where I have been able to get away for a 3 or 4 days, but the opportunities are in short supply at the moment. The cuben mini tarp sounds nice, what does it weigh?

    Gustav, I agree about not needing a waterproof bivy, though during winter I often carry one for those windy rainy nights as an extra level of protection, other wise I carry my BPL Vapor bivy. For tarps it is normally either the MLD grace solo or the Duo MId.

    ReplyDelete