Wednesday 7 July 2010

Along the Nordkalottleden: Björkliden to Kilipsjärvi


I am back from a fanatastic trip. It will take me a few days for me to come to terms with everything I have seen heard and experienced in so many ways. There are many photos and notes to sort through, however some highlights include

1. Awesome scenery; over every rise there is a new panorama
2. Wonderful bird life, including the hikers friend the Long-tailed Skua
3. Lots of water
4. Mosquitos but for me at least they were not a significant problem
5. Many reindeer herds
6. Ideal fishing locations
7. Great packrafting opportunities

and much more

Gear I was happy with my gear choices though I will make some adjustments for the next long trip. I will report on this in more detail later.

Weather: in summary 3 days of sunshine, 3 days of rain, 3 days of wind one of which was also foggy, and there was even sleet on the second day.

Over the coming weeks I will write a travelogue of the trip. For now it is back to reality with family from Australia arriving.

11 comments:

  1. Looks & sounds fantastic, Roger! Very excited to read your full write up and see all the photos =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Roger, dreamy looking landscape. You're very lucky to have experienced it. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to mention: 8. 24hrs of daylight in which to experience it all.

    Looking forwards to more photos and text. Glad it all went well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home Roger, glad to hear that the trip was a succes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the trip report that I've been waiting for. Hoping you got some photos of the reindeer herds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like very pleasant trip, Roger.
    Awaiting the full report, with a lot of nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, have to say I'm looking forward to it too - especially on your journey there from CPH.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jörgen Johansson7 July 2010 at 11:29

    I am really happy that it turned out to be the experience you hoped for. Although I always claim that the great thing for me with backpacking nowadays is that it is always GREAT no matter what the weather is like. After a while you learn to cope and can just enjoy the unlimited freedom of the outer and inner landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad the bugs weren't too bad! Looking forward to the write up and more of what look to be very nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to take a nap in your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lightening up...13 July 2010 at 02:32

    Sounds like you had a great trip! The weather and conditions sound like the same than I experienced in the Finnish side though we had one real snow fall and white scenary for a while.

    Unfortunately I left Kilpisjärvi two days before you arrived there...

    Are there more pics somewhre to be found? Unfortunately I dipped my camera in a stream at th first day of my hike so no pics from my trip. =(

    ReplyDelete