Sunday 22 August 2010

Salomon XT Wings 2: First walk



Much of the hiking I do in Denmark and southern Sweden is on hard packed trails and tarmac and as a consequence I need shoes that provide support, traction and some padding in the sole. I also prefer to use Salomon shoes as they fit and comfort level is consistent across the different styles I have used. Lighthiker in a recent post reminded me of the XT Wings. After much searching I was able to find a pair in my size online and they duly arrived from Beyond Extreme. Straight out of the box the shoes felt comfortable and fitted, I wear a UK 13.5 (EU 49.3) in Salomon shoe and the weight for my shoes is 880 gm for the pair the same as the weight of my Terrocs in UK size 13. My Salomon Tech Amphibian 2 in UK 13.5 weigh in at 740 grams for the pair.

As I said the shoes felt comfortable from the time I put them on, they have a reasonable lug sole, better than my Salomon XA Pro Ultra (compared side by side below)



One of the benefits of the XT Wings is that they are non Goretex lined, my preferred option, one that is increasingly difficult to find. I wore them on a 8 km walk through the nearby forest and was very happy with the comfort level and the way that the heel nestled firmly in the back of the shoes. Some writers have expressed concern at the Salomon lacing system, but I have replaced one set of laces (in my XA Pro Ultras) and it was a straight forward process and on an extended walk I would take a spare lace for the just in case situation.




Admittedly a short walk does not constitute a real test, but proved that I will be using them on forthcoming walks.

10 comments:

  1. I am on my second pair of XA Pro Ultra's and like you find them very comfy. I also don't rate the sole tread for anything more than hard trails in forests. So Inov-8 on the hills for me. Shame. So these new shoes of your interest me. Keep s updated on how they cope off path in the mud and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the pair of you. The lace system is OK but you need to carry a spare on long trips as it's almost impossible to replace it with a standard lace (although I did manage it on an older pair of XA's with the larger bore eyelets). I agree with Martin's view on the grip though, just not deep enough on the hills. That's a pity as I find the heel cup way more comfortable than my Terrocs. Salomon should stick their SpeedCross soles on some of their other models.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They don't make anything wide enough in the toe for me. I like their stuff too so it's a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. UK 13.5! Jees. I thought I had big feet. If they were goretex lined you could use them as pack rafts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Martin, the tread on the XT Wings is marginally better than the XA Pro's, the way it keeps raining here mud testing will not be far away.

    Joe, I will take a look at the speed cross sole, though my main use for these shoes will be on hardpacked surfaces.

    Thanks Chris, I have certainly had problems with some makes of shoes but fortunately Salomon work for me. Which brand of shoes do you use?

    Dave, yes big feet, as for a pack raft I am doubtful ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Salomons for dry hard trails, but the moment it gets a bit wet and muddy it's over to inov's for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you jephoto, you might encounter problems for using this Salomon when it gets wet. So I suggest bringing extra shoes would do during outdoor activities. Weather is unpredictable sometimes. So always be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been able to test the Salomon XT for longer walks and am happy to report that you will not be disappointed. The fit is great and they were comfortable from the time I put them on the the time I took them off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Roger from Geelong, Australia!

    'my belief that I could walk long distances in short times without taking precautionary measures such as stretching'

    I still remember reading this quote from you at least a year ago, just when I developed PF in my left leg... 12 months on I am still dealing with it and wondered how you are going with yours? Any hints, tips, exercises? The frustration of not being able to walk any distance is doing my head in! Cheers, Dan. heelerdog@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete