Sunday 26 September 2010

Bastrup Tower

Well I really needed to go for a walk, for all sorts of reasons (mainly work) I have found it difficult to get away, but I found a window of opportunity and took the chance. With the change of seasons the weather outlook was okay and so I decided to explore the Mølleådalen which is a 30 km trail between Buresø and Klampenborg and thanks to a suggestion on Outsite Dk I was able to start the walk at Olystykke Railway station. From the railway station the walk takes you through the township of Olystykke before crossing the main road between Roskilde and Helsingør and then heading into the forests. Soon the Skenkelsø Mølle comes into view.



After crossing the main road the trail climbs slightly before passing a primitive campsite (no facilities) with pleasant views over the plains before reaching Sperrestrup where the Naturesti to Buresø commences.



From here it was a pleasant walk passing many trees and bushes changing colour with the on set of Autumn along with views of small ponds.


Before reaching Buresø the trail passes through Slagslunde Skov which provides a wonderful mixture of tress and lakes as well as mosquitos.


After passing through the hamlet of Buresø I started walking along the Molledalen




As I walked along the well formed trail it was evident that Autumn was here with the many different coloured leaves. I had decided that I would stop for lunch on the banks of Bastrup Sø and arrived at the shelter place which overlooked the lake.



The roof of the shelter was covered in what was best described as a well manicured lawn.



After lunch I continued along the trail and was soon confronted by Bastrup Tower now if I had read the leaflet I perhaps would have realised that I would see the tower.



What was surprising to me was the statement on the plaque which said that it was a medieval tower but very little was known about its purpose. However, it provided commanding views of one of the cleanest water sources in Sjælland (Bastrup Sø)



After inspecting the tower and its surround the trail took me past farm land and forest, past manicured gardens and houses.



Before descending into the water logged marshes upstream of Furesø.




This was perhaps one of my most enjoyable walks in and around Copenhagen and it just goes to show that there are always places where you can enjoy the outdoors which are close to your doorstep, the challenge is finding them.

6 comments:

  1. A great Local Adventure Roger, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still have the odd mosquito hanging around Roger? Jack Frost sorted them out here in Bergen at the weekend. They won't be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very nice walk. I even encountered mosquitos in Russia, much to my surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Phil, I intend to do an overnight trip along a longer section of the trail public transport to and from, there are some nice options for getting away very close to Copenhagen if you like forests.

    Joe and Hendrik the mosquitos have now gone and there were virtually none in the Swedish forests last weekend : ) probably left when they knew hunting season was about to start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I sit here, Mrs. M is telling me that this is an area not to far from her sister in Allerød so we might go and take a look. Only about 20mins away. Have you ever seen the yearly horse-run up there - apparently they ride through the park and there are ditches they have to jump over, with pools of mud to get over... The Danes love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maz it is definitely worth a visit when you are here, there is some nice walking to be done around the outskirts of Copenhagen, including overnight walks using the primitive campsites. The tower was fascinating and intrigued me even more when it was stated that they were uncertain about the history of the tower. Have not seen the horse run it is possibly one day eventing or cross country racing (used to be involved in such events as a spectator/strapper in another life)

    ReplyDelete