Sunday 19 October 2008

Ås till Åsleden


Just back from 5 days on the Ås till Åsleden in Skåne, Sweden. The Ås till Åsleden (Ridge to Ridge Trail) is part of the 1000 km long Skåneleden trail system which celebrates its 30 year anniversary this year. It was a great trip, but I must remember to check the hunting calendar next time, as my first day out coincided with the first day of Moose hunting season.

There will be more to come in the following days including reports on some gear including "How to entertain yourself on long dark nights", "My experiences with 2 water filtration systems", "Golite Shangri-La 3 first thoughts" and "Cooking with a small pot"

2 comments:

  1. Neilsen, are you supposed to wear something orange in hunting season to make you more conspicuous? I read some horror stories on www.backpackinglight.com of hikers being mistaken for wildlife and being shot by trigger-happy hunters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read those horror stories as well. Whilst living in the states I spent a lot of time on the AT during hunting season, which also the best time to walk the trail, it was recommended that you wear bright orange. Even a fluoro orange cap works well. Last week I saw 2 hunters (part of a group of 24) one wore a fluoro cap the other in camo green, but the whole group had walkie talkies so once the first saw me the rest knew I was there. I also heard dogs (often used for flushing out wild boar, deer and moose) and a few shots. As for your question yes you probably should wear bright colours. Many of the trails are old forestry roads and walking in the middle of the road and a white Tilley hat was the best I could do in this case.

    ReplyDelete