Saturday 25 October 2008

GoLite Shangri La 3


For a while now I had been considering the Golite TiPi offerings, firstly the hex and then the Shangri La 3. Finally got around to purchasing a Sage Green Shangri La 3 the first observation when it was erected is that there is a lot of space inside, in actuality there just about 6 square meters of floor space. However, its size is also its disadvantage the Shangri La is a ground area hungry shelter and requires a site that is at least 3 metres by 3 metres and preferably one that is 4 x 4 metre site. For this reason the shelter had limited use on my recent trip along the Ås till Åsleden. Notwithstanding its area hunger the shelter is undoubtedly the ideal shelter should you be looking for extra space.


As for the pole, I always thought that the hiking poles were the way to go. I use Pacer Poles and Neil Johnstone at BPL USA provided the way to go.



For a ground sheet I use a Gossamer Gear Polycro sheet that has been modified for the shelter.

So the weights are

Shelter (no pegs, ropes etc) 705 gm
Pole (extra section) 36 gm
Groundsheet 110 gm

Total weight, not including stakes 851 gm, lighter than my beloved Integral Designs Uni Shelter.

This shelter will be my preferred winter shelter because of its space and its sturdiness in adverse weather, though I agree with Chris Townsend, a double ended zip in the door would make this the perfect shelter.

11 comments:

  1. How strong is that pole set up under stress in a storm against the pole that comes with it? I like the look of those tents in many ways for the size etc. I use Pacer poles and wonder if it could work for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. Keep us informed how you get on with it.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Pacer Pole section, is it included when buying? Do you keep the full length or have cut it down to the usable size, is it carbon or alloy? Very good idea anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anonymous

    Happy New Year.

    Thanks for your question, the pacer pole section is not included with the tent. I remove the 2 lower sections of my alloy pacer poles and insert a middle section from an old Komperdell Carbon Fibre pole I have, which then locks inside one of the pacer poles, the other pacer pole slides onto the carbon fibre section making a very secure centre pole. I have not tested this in high winds, but in all other cases I have been very happy with the result.

    I hope this explanation is helpful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice shelter....but leave the Unishelter out of it ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Family Guy, true these two types of shelters are not comparable and very much serve different purposes. The Unishelter is my preferred shelter when space is tight or wild camping is frowned upon or I just like the freedom, which happens often.

    The Shangri la is ideal for trips where it is likely there will be a need for extended indoor time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nielsen !

    What are the weight of a set of the Pacer Poles yiu use to support this Golite shelter ?

    Eagleeye

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Eagleeye

    According to my scales, the pair of poles weigh 710 grams. But as I always hike with poles then I am not carrying them. In my view the poles handles are what makes them stand out from other brands.

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  9. Roger, Revisiting this post as I'm looking for a group shelter for winter use and the Shangrila 5 has caught my eye. There's realy nothing I can see that gets close in terms of weight to space to cost. Some questions. Having used the 3 would you trust it in a real blow, use it in deep cold, use it with a full complement of perspiring humans? I'm talking Dovre Fjell or equivalent in Feb/March so it realy needs to be something bomb proof but with the added weight of winter gear a lightweight shelter would have serious advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dave, simpler answer is I cannot answer from personal experience. However, there are many persons who have used mids in the winter and swear by them. There was a good discussion on winter tents on BPL.com a little while ago, not sure if you read it, but quite a few were happy with mids. I would suggest you also look at Oware and Black diamond for mids. I feel that five may be a challenge maybe 2 3 persons mids are better. It does seem that the newer Golite tarps are using a 15 d material, I have their new poncho tarp in 15d and would worry about it in a mid, but I assume they have tested it.

    Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Roger. Yes it helps. The drop in weight of the Shangrila hadn't gone unnoticed. Seems their shelters are going in the opposite direction to their packs which are getting heavier year on year. The drop in weight was welcome news but indeed I hadn't given any thought to tanacity. You make a good point and one I'll be trying to follow up. The BD mega lite is on my list. Must check out Oware. No doubt you'll get to read where my choice falls.

    ReplyDelete