Monday 21 December 2009

Along the Ås till Åsleden: Röstånga to Höör

I had the opportunity to get away for a couple of days and complete the remainder of the Ås to Åsleden trail, having already walked the sections from Röstånga to Åstorp and Höör to Agusa (write up to come), this trip would also provide me with an opportunity to test out the Compact Ti Tri Caldera Inferno with the MLD pot.

Arriving at Röstånga in the grey misty morning I was soon into stride following the orange markers, until I realised that I had not seen any for a little while. A quick backtrack towards the bus stop and looking more closely at the marker I realised the folly of my ways and set of in the correct direction. I was soon out of town heading towards Jällabjär Reserve. The reserve includes the remnants of the volcano Jällabjär which was active around 100 million years ago, the trail passed through a range of forest types, before steadily climbing to the top of the volcanic plug.



The descent from the Jällabjär takes you through stands of beech and pine forest before entering the township of Anderstorp. Near to the township is the commemorative memorial for the Battle of Anderstorp, one of the many battles between the Swedes and the Danes for control of Skåne.



The details of some of the battles in the area are clearly described on the nearby plaque


Fortunately these days the battles between the Swedes and the Danes are confined to Football including the occasional Australian Rules football match.

Departing this sombre location the trail passes through the Eneskogen area a beautiful area with a wide variety of small trees and bushes. Soon you descend past basalt rock outcrops to the river Rönne which was shrouded in mist as I crossed what could be best described as a well built but very slippery wooden bridge, one wrong slip and a swim was the likely result. After crossing the river it was a 4 km road walk to the the nature reserve and home for the night. There was a cool breeze blowing and finding a flat sheltered spot was a little bit of a challenge. I soon had the duo mid up and having organised my gear it was time to cook.

The Compact Ti Tri Caldera Inferno was soon alight but with everything being damp, required a little coaxing and patience, however, after a period of time I had enough boiling water for dinner and coffee afterwards, without resorting to using Esbit. I do believe though that I had just about reached the limits of the use of the Compact Ti Tri Caldera Inferno in damp forests. It was soon into bed as the temperature dropped and the wind increased.

The next morning I awoke to the same greyness and less breeze, after a quick breakfast using Esbit and the gram cracker in the Caldera I set off through the nature reserve with it variety of bushes and ferns


Much of the remainder of the day was to be spent wandering minor roads through the forests, occasionally meeting cyclists, hunters, joggers, day walkers. However, I was very pleased to suddenly find myself at St Olavs Kalla (well)



It was a tranquil place along side of an old path which connected the hamlet with the church.



The trail was also a part of the Pilgrimsleden which I walked along in an earlier trip.



Leaving the tranquility of the well and the nearby church I returned to the roads and trails before reaching the aptly named Frostvallen a large commercial hotel and conference centre located adjacent to the Skånes Animal Park and Vaxsjön (lake) leaving this well travelled area behind I soon reached the end of the walk on Route 23. However, I quickly discovered that bus drivers do not like stopping at bus stops in the dark so after a bit more walking and then a taxi I was on the train heading home.

It had been an enjoyable two days in the outdoors providing a range of historical and natural perspectives.

5 comments:

  1. Fascinating trail Roger. Looks like St Olav got around a bit. One of the trails named after him (the one from Oslo to Trondheim) is my back-up in case I can't do the Nordkalottruta next summer.

    So now that you've reached the limit of the Ti-Tri Compact is it back to alcohol or a cannister stove?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a pleasant trip. Wells in the name of Olav is pretty common in both Norway and Sweden. Normaly placed close to the mediveal pilgrim routes.
    After your reports from Skåne I am sure. Have to visit that area next year. Try to do t in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Thunder in the night, yeah Olav is interesting as much because he died at the age of 35 and was king for 13 years. I am aware of Olavs way, even have a pdf copy of Brandon Wilson Article from BPL USA, which was also available on the web at one time. It sounds like you and I may both end up on the Nordkalottruta next summer.

    As for stoves a Bushbuddy may still work as it can create more heat inside the firebox. if I was to use alcohol (or Esbit) I would use a full Caldera Cone. But the quickest and easiest is a gas canister which will probably accompany me in the coming weeks.


    Roger, thanks, the well with its seating was very nice but I would have needed to treat the water before I felt comfortable about drinking it. There is some enjoyable walking to be found in Skåne and the diversity of forests, history and coastline means that you can plan a walk that suits your needs. Public transport is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the photos of day 2, they remember me of home in Hessen, Germany. I grew up in a medieval town, cobblestone streets, old churches, a castle, ruins in the forest, that's something I do miss here in Finland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Hendrik, you do not see many castle ruins or church ruins where I come from in Australia, and it is something that attracts me when walking in Sweden. I find the historical aspect interesting especially given that many of these event took place before europeans settled in Australia in 1778.

    ReplyDelete