Sunday 13 December 2009

Tisvilde Hegn



Tisvilde Hegn lies approximately two hours to the west of Copenhagen and can be reached by public transport, with the promise of sunshine I was keen to visit this area. Aside from wonderful beaches, and forests there are a number of historic sites. I set off from the railway station through the quiet village ( it is much busier in summer) and headed towards the coastline. The sun had only just risen but the temperatures were still below zero.



With no map and no real plan I headed south along the coastline walking up down the dunes, admiring the coast, the inland forests and the sun gradually climbing above the trees, occasionally walking on crunchy sand which had not felt the warmth of the sun. After about an hour I headed inland to Troldskoven with its wonderful pine trees, illuminated in the early morning sunshine.





Continuing south I arrived at one of the southern parking areas and collected a Vandreture folder which allowed me to plan my return path to Tisvildelejre railway station. But first I decided to visit Asserbo Slotsruin (castle ruins) with its idyllic moat.


After passing by a well used shelter place with its view of a mud covered frozen lake it was time to look for a spot to have lunch. The bushbuddy was soon out and a pot of noodle soup soon took away the chill in the air. After lunch I wandered through some beautiful stands of birch as well as pine forest before arriving at Torup Landsby (village).





Torup Landsby consisted of 16 farms and was deserted when large sand drifts in the 16th to 18th century took away the the land owners livelihoods. Excavations by volunteers in the 1960's and 70's led to the discovery of pottery and a coin from about 1320, indicating the long history of the village.



After leaving the remnants of Torup Landsby it was a pleasant stroll through the forests before arriving back in Tisvildelejre, it had been a very enjoyable day with the diversity of scenery combined with historic sites. I will be back as there is still much to see here and there will always be the sea to provide that calming effect.

6 comments:

  1. A day with sunshine and history, perfect. You probably wanted to escape the COP15 and all the hectic and people around it, or?

    I had some snow and mild minus degrees this weekend, post soonish =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hendrik, COP 15, fortunately I was not wearing my black hiking outfit and black buff to keep my face warm as I may never have got to Tisvilde.

    It is a nice area and one where someone who is visiting Copenhagen can get to and wander if they have the time.

    Looking forward to your report.

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Roger
    Walking near the sea at winter is nice. Lovely pictures. I asume that you could walk pretty alone there.

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Roger, yes it was very quiet, probably because of the coolness as well as being close to Jul. I have been in the area (but not hiking) in late summer and it is much busier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winter beaches are just the place to blow away the winter cobwebs. Looks like good bushbuddy territory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks James, winter beaches appeal to me a lot, though the ice along the shoreline also indicates how cold it can be. There sure is plenty of bush buddy territory in this part of the world.

    ReplyDelete