Sunday 9 May 2010

Bushbuddy backup stove




Stoves are as much about personal preference as they are about fuel usage, weight, type of fuel etc.

I have been pondering on which stove to take with me to Lapland in July as well as other trips. Readers of the is blog will be well aware of the stoves I have and mostly I have used Esbit or alcohol stoves with wood stoves also featuring. Often I need to "stealth camp" and as a result wood stoves are not appropriate though my preference has always been for wood with a backup fuel such as Esbit or alcohol. Recently however, the availability of the larger Esbit tablets (12 gm) in Copenhagen has decreased and this has made me rethink the types of fuel to use.

This afternoon I decided to play with back up stove options for the Bushbuddy and I found that my Mogo Firefly stove with 30 ml of alcohol easily boiled 600 ml of water using the Bushbuddy pot stand surrounded by an aluminium wind break. The stove will easily fit in my Bushbuddy which fits nicely in the BPL 900 ml pot. So for my next trip that will be hat I am carrying a Bushbuddy combined with a Mogo Firefly .

I will report back on my experiences.




Oh and yes I really should do something about the garden.

7 comments:

  1. Nonsense! Your garden looks fine, I like the naturally overgrown look.

    Stoves are indeed a personal choice but I'm really like the idea of multi-fuel versions, especially if you're planning long distance trips. I have an Evernew DX stove winging it's way over to me as we speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came back from a short trip with my wife. We used both, bushbuddy and a pepsican-stove as an alcohol backup. Worked perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may have noticed I'm a fan of meths stoves and the white box stove in particular. However, for Norway this coming June I intend to take a stove with the option to burn wood. I too have the Evernew DX on order at BPL UK (and there I was thinking that I have enough stoves) and, judging by the reviews so far, that will most likely be the one I pack. They say that great minds think alike. Appears to also be stove nerds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Joe, no more gardening it is then.

    Joe and Dave the Evernew certainly looks great and I will be interested to hear reports of its use in the field.

    My next trip will be with wood and metho, though given the rain predicted, it may end up more metho than wood.

    Thanks Basti, the little alcohol stove I used has been around for quite a while and I have always found it to be very dependable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with Joe on this, leave the garden, it looks fine.

    I actually stopped carrying a backup with my BushBuddy, I didn't see a need for it. But Finland is less densely populated than Denmark or the south of Sweden, so I see your need for a smoke free back-up.

    Are you taking the BBU on the SBM-up, thus? I believe there's going to be quite a few wood burning stoves there :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Hendrik, in Australia the garden would be called the natural look.

    For the SBM it will probably be a Ti Tri inferno, just to be different and it will be useful as a comparison to help me decide what to use on the Nordkalottleden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet"
    GM Hopkins.

    ReplyDelete