Monday 7 June 2010

Heading North



It is 12 months ago when I had planned to go to Lapland and walk a section of the Nordkalotten Trail, in particular Kilipsjärvi to Abisko, well the purchase of a house put an end to that, but this year it is happening. There has been some modifications on the route as well as gear since last year which I will describe below.

The Route:

I will be catching the train from Copenhagen to Björkliden and commence the walk north from there. The trail distance is about 180 km, not including side trips, but route is intended to allow for variation, depending on the scenery weather etc. The advantage of taking the train is that I can pack all my gear including fuel before leaving Copenhagen.

The gear:

For me it is an unknown area and as consequence I prefer to err on the side of caution and given that the weather will most likely be damp, there will be mosquitos and it can be windy I will be taking a tent. The tent is a Stephenson's Warmlite 2C in a lovely blue colour, the total weight of the tent with poles and seam sealing is 1.3 kg and it provides a large amount of bug and moisture protected space for 1. My pack will be the Aarn Natural Balance, I do not expect to fill the pack, but with its two waterproof compartments I will be able to separate wet gear from dry gear which will give me a sense of security if the weather is very wet. The front Balance pockets provide ample space for the daily needs including camera, tripod, food and cooking gear. I may be using a gas stove on the trip for its ease of use along with the option to use it in a tent if the conditions warrant.

I will be writing more before I leave on other considerations, especially food, wet weather clothing and cameras.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds incredible - this is one of my 'must-do' trails so I'm really looking forward to your impressions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember it like yesterday when I suggested the Nordkalottleden to you, and we had discussions about using the BushBuddy up there, etc. I fear that other commitments will not allow me to go walk it this year, thus the more that I am looking forward to your thoughts up front and the report afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really exciting, Roger. I'll be following your trip closely. Hopefully, your choice of footwear will be better than that of Lars in the video. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Hendrik points out, we are travelling along this trail vicariously through you! Work commitments of a different nature prevent me making the planned journey north this summer. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very much looking forward to the trip and grateful of the trip to Vålåddalen as it helped to refine my gear thoughts for the trip.

    With 11 days planned means there will be about 9 kg of food so the other gear will be kept to a minimum and with no resupply (or escape route options) I need to be fully prepared but not overloaded that is the challenge.

    More planning entries will follow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hiked around the three borders section near Kilpisjärvi a couple of years ago in June/July. It's very beautiful - but during that trip we encountered the worst plague of mosquitoes we'd ever experienced. Each night we' try to hike up as high as possible to get away from them. Eventually we caved in and cut the trip short. A head net is highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Mark for your helpful comments, having no prior knowledge of the area I appreciate your advice. A headnet was on my list of gear as well as bug repellant, hopefully I can avoid the mosquitos or at least find respite from them. High camping places is on my agenda for me the hyttas are a way point along the trail not a campsite.

    ReplyDelete