Wednesday 9 June 2010

Monatauk Gnat Update


Thanks to Martin at Fjäderlätt, I now have the weights of gas used for the Gnat on the recent trip to Vålådalen.

The stove was only used for boiling water, and a windscreen was used some of the time, the design of the windscreen came from BPL.com and information can be found here.

The total amount of water boiled for the 3 days was 4 litres approximately, the amount of gas used was 80 gms, indicating that 20 gms of gas per litre of water boiled was used. For me this would mean that I would use less than 30 grams of gas a day and with the weight of the stove (48 gms), the on trail weight has similar figures to that of esbit and alcohol. In the end the difference may be a matter of the weight of the empty gas canisters when compared with the weight of the bottles used for alcohol or the packaging of the Esbit, an interesting conundrum.




5 comments:

  1. Then it all comes down to personal preferance, ease of use and saftey in tents. If I were expecting long tiring days and to be forced to cook in a tent I'd probably go with gas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coincidently I've just posted a review of what appears to be an identical stove, the GoSystem Fly and the performance is pretty much the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks a very similar design to the Optimus crux. Performance is good. How did you find the regulator for fine tuning or did you just have it fully open.
    Thanks for all the info on the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jörgen Johansson10 June 2010 at 04:12

    Very similar to the performance of my Primus Micron, where I find that I use about 25 grams/day on 3 season solo trips. Yeah, I also think it is a question of personal preference when you come down to this weight segment. Since I almost always cook in my tent or tarp on mornings and at night I prefer gas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's very similar to the Optimus Crux. I had my Crux with me so I could compare it to Roger's stove. Some parts are identical.

    I don't know the exact details, but the Crux isn't an original Optimus design either, but a cleverly modified Japanese Zippo stove: http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/hammer/img10301816231.jpeg

    ReplyDelete