Sunday 13 June 2010

Organised Wandering

So the trip is planned, I will alight from the train at Björkliden on the banks of Torneträsk and then soon after be on the Nordkalotten as it wends its way north. Initially I will follow the shore line of Torneträsk and if it is warm with little or no wind then the mosquitos will want to be friends, but my friends will be a BPL Headnet and PreVent.

Initially my plan is to walk to Lappjordhytta a distance of about 15 km, from which I will then climb to higher elevations before searching out a hopefully bug free campsite. This will form the general plan for each day walking about 20 km a day along the trail and seeking a high campsite. There are many possible detours and peaks to climb so with almost 24 hours of daylight I will be taking every opportunity to seek out places of interest as I walk along the trail. Perhaps one highlight is the three countries border between Finland, Norway and Sweden, it may be at this point that I will take the ferry to Kilipsjärv instead of walking, time will tell.

Thus I have a starting point and time as well as an end point and time. However, I must remember that my finishing point and bus to Tromsø leaves from Kilipsjärvi which is in Finland and therefore Finnish time, which is 1 hour different to Swedish and Danish time.

Maps of the area
There are 3 Swedish 1:100 000 maps which cover most the of the route these are
BD 1 Treriksröset - Råstojaure
BD 3 Rensjön - Pulsujärvi
BD 6 Abisko - Kebnekaise - Narvik

However, the map the covers the entire route is a Norwegian1: 100 000 map which is

Turkart Indre Troms


I have photocopied the required sections of the map onto waterproof paper for day to day use but will carry the Turkart, just in case I fall of the map.

I buy all my maps from Nordisk Korthandel who provide an excellent in house as well as online ordering system.

8 comments:

  1. Good luck avoiding the bugs! Going at that time of the year at least you know you won't get swept away in a flood or frozen to death in a snowstorm... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joe, I think I would rather floods and snowstorms, at least I would feel in control then : ) by choosing what to do. In mosquito country it is they that choose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roger, what kind of waterproof paper do you use, and were do you buy it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Martin, I use Toughprint waterproof paper which I purchased in the UK. It could only be delivered to a UK address when it was purchased. I have not been able to find waterproof paper in Denmark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks!
    Toughprint looks good. I have read about Xerox Nevertear, but haven't managed to find a local dealer for that either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some companies are also printing maps on Tyvek, this was especially common in the US but the Skåneleden Maps are also printed on what I think is Tyvek.

    If you visit the US website of dupont and search for Tyvek handbook you can find out more about printing on Tyvek. A form of Tyvek is available in Denmark. I ahve not tried this yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roger, I don't know if Treriksröset is that interesting. I've never been there, but geographically it doesn't stand out. One place that I'd be interested in Pältsan. It looks like an interesting prominent peak. Is it far from your intended route?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Gustav, Treriksröset is a point I will pass, but at least I can say I have been there. The trail does pass below Pältsan and it like many other peaks adjacent to the trail will provide opportunities for diversions, assuming the cloud is high enough. Fortunately I have a bit of spare time so will go where the scenery takes me.

    ReplyDelete